Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The more things change..

After a nice work out at my gym, I went to get changed and go for a swim.  Hearing the call of a small child hailing my entry with 'THERE'S A BOY IN HERE' didn't totally ruin my day, but it did make me change REALLY. FAST.

It's winter.  I wear more clothes.  I forget, the beginning of each winter there's a sharp raise 'mis-gendering' and it always takes me by surprise.  I'd spent the day shopping for shoes, and three different sales assistants referred to me as 'buddy' and 'mate' - no woman here gets called that.  However, even by the end of the day, when I was literally taking my clothes off and being called 'A BOY' I was ok.  I guess I had other things on my mind.  And by the time I have my as butch-as-possible bathers on my clearly female body, things got easier.  Well, except for the swimming when it's raining and 13C.

It still surprises me how some days it cuts more than others.  I've had a busy six months, and I've felt at home in queer community, and visible in all the right ways.  As soon as I move out of that space, I am read as more male.  I think I have more confidence, maybe more swagger.  I've been identifying more as butch, which means being seen as male.

There's more on that.  Maybe I'll even write it.



No comments:

Post a Comment