Monday, September 5, 2011

In the classroom


I work with several other teachers, who visit similar schools.  They’re pretty straight looking, and don’t necessarily have a ‘gender analysis’.  Which is fine – they’re good teachers and they do a good job.  But it’s difficult to take what they do and apply it.

I was in class recently with a colleague.  Both up the back, taking notes.  The kids then had a task to do, and they were moving round a bit, getting in to it.  My colleague got up and moved round, asking questions and helping out.  I was pinned to my chair. If I engage, if I break the back wall, I become visible.  And visible means a potential target. I know, it sounds paranoid.  But then:

Boy: Hey bro.

Me, Option 1: Hey.

Me, Option 2: Pull your head out of your gender normative arse and realise that just because I have short hair I am not your bro.

I take option 1.  I’ll let you know how that generally pans out next post.  It's not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment