Monday, January 23, 2012

Armour

I worked with a guy once, he was nice enough, for a PE teacher.  Anyway, I swear he had no armour. He just came in as he was.  You know what I mean, normally you put your game face on, especially when going to work, even if it's somewhere you like.  You prepare yourself, you have a facade of some sort.  He just didn't do that.  He was a bit annoying, but it was all him.  Work didn't tire him, because he didn't waste energy projecting what he thought people should see.  I didn't particularly like or dislike him, but I really envied his ability not to put on a front.  It wasn't conscious, I don't think.  Being a straight white guy he didn't need to do anything more to fit in and not have people question him. But for me, someone who is so conscious of what people expect and the performance of the everyday, he was quite refreshing.  Almost enviable.

No comments:

Post a Comment