Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Others


So, I ran my anti-homophobia session.  It went fine.What was strange was how one queer understood it.  I spoke to a woman about it, and she basically said she was sick of being the only queer in the room.  She’s seen as a lesbian, but she doesn’t identify as one, and all this talk of gay stuff is somewhat irritating to her.

Really?

Yep.  She, on a personal level, is sick of hearing about it and isn’t worried about being a queer teacher.What I got from this was interesting.  I ran the session for all teachers, of course.  But I did consider the gay/lesbian teachers and their 'situation'.  And I wanted to reach out to them.  I love finding community in odd places and banding together. I get a kick out of seeing other queer teachers in schools, and know that we represent in the oddest corners of the straightest places. And I guess I assumed they all felt this way.  That even without acknowledging it, we understood each other. Maybe I’m wrong.  Maybe I’m the only one who seeks out my brethren in this way. Perhaps I focus too much on it, perhaps it’s too important to me.  But I really like that idea. Almost like there is a secret treasure in every new place, a sibling you have yet to find. Sometimes they’re hidden and others times they’re visible across a football field.  As one of the latter, I look for support/safety and comradeship where ever I end up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always seeking "community." There is another gay teacher and perhaps one in hiding in my building.I am a late bloomer, and I am not out to my students, but I am out to the staff. We did a writing wrap around at yesterday's inservice and when the story got to me, I continued it as if I were waiting for my female lover from Paris. When I had to pass the unfinished story on, the woman next to me had no idea what to do! I said that I could write from her perspective, could she write from mine?!? Sadly, she could not. I educate them every day!

    ReplyDelete